The aim of this programme is to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge, skill and understanding of the diverse elements within the Sports Industry. Students will be equipped with a variety of practical skills as well as a solid foundation in Exercise Science. This affords students the dual opportunity to either seek employment or progress their studies at 3rd Level colleges in the area of Sport, Leisure and or Exercise Science.
On successful completion of this course students may either choose to seek employment in the Sports and Leisure industry such as Health and Fitness Instructing. Graduates can progress to further training in a career related area e.g. Personal Training.
Progression to 3rd Level Institutes of Technology and Universities for degree programmes is a popular option. Successful progression is subject to achieving the entry requirements for QQI graduates for the particular course in question.
Sample progression routes include:
- Limerick IT – Sports Development & Coaching Level 6
- Limerick IT – Sports Strength & Conditioning Level 7 & and level 8
- NUI Cork – Sports Studies with P.E. Letterkenny IT – Sports Studies
- Athlone IT – Business, Sport and Recreation
- GMIT – Sport and Exercise Science
- Tralee IT – Health & Leisure Level 7 and 8
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP or Leaving Cert Applied
- A FETAC/QQI Level 4 qualification
- Mature students (age 23+) welcome
- Garda vetting must be successfully completed
The practical elements of this course will take place using state of the art Physical Education Facilities in Davitt College, Castlebar.
This is a one-year full time course and runs from September to May.