The aim of this programme is to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge, skill and understanding of the diverse elements within the Sports Industry. Students will be equipped with a variety of practical skills as well as a solid foundation in Exercise Science. This affords students the dual opportunity to either seek employment or progress their studies at 3rd Level colleges in the area of Sport, Leisure and or Exercise Science. The practical elements of this course will take place in the Physical Education facilities in Davitt College, Castlebar and The Movement gym in Castlebar. Prior to engaging in practical Work Experience, students will complete both a Manual Handling and an Occupational First Aid Course. Successful students will receive a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Sports, Recreation & Exercise.
A minimum of 8 modules must be completed for certification made up of mandatory and electives, see opposite list. Choice of modules is decided by CCFE and subject to annual staffing/college resources.
On successful completion of this course students may either choose to seek employment in the Sports and Leisure industry such as Health and Fitness Instructing. Graduates can progress to further training in a career related area e.g. Personal Training.
Progression to 3rd Level Institutes of Technology and Universities for degree programmes is a popular option. Successful progression is subject to achieving the entry requirements for QQI graduates for the particular course in question.
Sample progression routes include:
- Limerick IT – Sports Development & Coaching Level 6
- Limerick IT – Sports Strength & Conditioning Level 7 & and Level 8
- NUI Cork – Sports Studies with P.E.
- Letterkenny IT – Sports Studies
- Athlone IT – Business, Sport and Recreation
- GMIT – Sport and Exercise Science
- Tralee IT – Health & Leisure Level 7 and Level 8
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP or Leaving Cert Applied
- A FETAC/QQI Level 4 qualification
- Mature students (age 23+) welcome
- Garda vetting must be successfully completed
This is a one-year full time course and runs from September to May.